There are five particular energy draining food that we are supposed to be aware of so that we can take them in moderation. Some of the items below may surprise some.
1. Greasy and Fried Food – It causes fatigue in the short-run and decreased cognitive performance in the long-run. So it is true, you get dumb with too much junk food! It’s so good it just hurts!
2. Red Wine and Alcohol – Drinking alcohol may help in sleeping but it can also cause sleeping patterns to go haywire. In addition, my sources above state that it decreases the duration of the REM stage which is supposed to be the stage that improves memory and alertness. Take this in moderation, people.
3. Low-Iron Food – It’s best to have more of the dark green and leafy vegetables and other food high in iron (e.g. kale, spinach, lentil, chickpeas and occasional red meat).
4. Energy Drinks – Yes, there is that momentary kick that caffeine supplies but it’s not actually energy generated. The caffeine activates the nervous system which is an energy expense. Instead of drinking coffee, it is advisable to drink tea instead. Yes, tea has caffeine; however, tea components have more positive substances than negative. Snacking on walnuts and almonds is healthy too because it is a combination of protein, fiber and healthy fats.
5. Sugary Breakfast (e.g. doughnuts, sweet rolls) – The quick use up of carbohydrates makes blood sugar rise which makes the brain stop producing orexin, that which is responsible for alertness. It is not enough to eat food like cereals only in the morning. There must be protein in the meal to control the breakdown of the carbohydrates (e.g. egg and toast).
*Though it is not part of the list, the sites above mentioned wearing comfy shoes because heels may hinder people from moving. Walking actually allows generation of more energy which is the value of exercise.
© 2013 Dolce Vita. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. (marieltan.wordpress.com)
Photo Credit: Tumblr User Post